Portuguese Citizenship by marriage

Esta discussão foi criada a partir da divisão de comentários de: Nacionalidade portuguesa pelo casamento

Comentários

• Hi,

I have submitted my husband's documents for nationality registration through marriage. It was received at the civil registry in Lisbon in Sept 2021. On the nacionalidade website it shows it is at step 4 verification of documents. How long more till the process is finalized and birth registered?

• @Cris9343

Portuguese citizenship through marriage takes about 2 years from beginning to end.

However, as there was a massive increase in the overall number of applications after the citizenship law was amended in 2021, it is possible that it could take a little longer.

Realistically, if there are no requests for clarification/additional documents, your husband's process should be complete before the end of the year.

• @eduardo_augusto

Thanks for your response.

Just out of curiosity, could you elaborate on what amendments were made to the citizenship law? Or if you could provide a reference link on where I could read about it

• @Cris9343

First let me make a small correction: I meant the change approved in late 2020. The most significant change was that the requirement of proof of link to Portugal and Portuguese culture was simplified. This was especially good for Brazilians since speaking Portuguese as first language would now be considered sufficient proof of a link to Portuguese culture.

With this change, thousands of Brazilians suddenly could apply for Portuguese citizenship - I am talking here about the citizenship process for grandchildren of Portuguese citizens.

As a result, in 2021 there was a massive increase in the number of applications. Then in 2022 the "Abramovich" case also prompted changes in the law, mostly regarding the "sephardic" application. Here the opposite happened: with the news that the rules would become stricter, again thousands of people sent in their applications, in many cases missing some of the required documents, "just to get in line" before the changes.

Coupled with this, we had the pandemic, which slowed everything down (but also gave people more time to look for their ancestors" documents, I guess...) and in 2022 the war with Ukraine forced the Portuguese government to use some of its resources to handle the influx of refugees / migrants.

So... increase in demand, but no increase in workforce to handle all applications, means things now... take time... a lot of time.

• @eduardo_augusto

Ok noted. Thanks alot for that simplified explanation and your support.

• @eduardo_augusto

Thanks for your response.

Just out of curiosity, could you elaborate on what

• Hi Everyone

I just joined the forum and uploaded my wife's info into the spreadsheet.

Her application for citizenship through marriage is from Nov 2021 and we are stuck on ball 4. No correspondence from IRN and no answers from them when I ask if everything is ok with the process.

• @CDRLagos

hello!

my wife’s application for citizenship through marriage is from 8 Nov 2021 and we are stuck on ball 4. Same as you. So my advice is: take it easy! Dont worry, you will have good news until december 2024

• hello. Even my citizenship from August 2021 still stuck on ball 4🥲

• @CDRLagos , @williamrodr , @Mohamedjuned ,

there has been a delay in the response from the agency (AIMA/UCFE) that checks criminal records. There are a large number of processes stopped at this stage awaiting a response. Even processes that already have the approval, moved back to this phase to recheck the records according to the new law that came into force at the beginning of May. Nothing to do, but wait.

• @williamrodr

Thank you for encouragement. My fear is always that something is wrong or we need to fix but their communication is so poor. We never received the online code or knew it was a thing. One day someone casually said, "Oh you can check online"....

I had to call into IRN and beg for the number.

Just will be so happy once this done.

• @texaslady

Thank you for this information. Appreciated

• Hi All, good evening. I just registered, though have been reading this site for some time now. It has been really helpful.

I submitted my process in end of Dec 2020 ( it was registered in Jan 21). After falling into requirement, and providing the necessary documents, it has finally gone to 6 Greeen/ 7 Brown on 13th March.

I enquired in early May ( IRN site for issuing BC after paying 10 euro), but the BC was still not done.

For t he experienced and knowledgeable members on the Board,how long is it now taking the BC to be issued for the 'marriage' cases? Any one got it recently?

Aplogies for making the post in English, my Portuguese is still not upto scratch

• editado May 26

@DKU

When did you enquired the IRN site? Maybe worth try again. It’s very likely that your BC was issued in the 05/08 batch.

• @ecoutinho

Thanks for the suggestion.

I enquired on 14th May and the response from Civilonline was " Foi actualizado para o estado Recusado"

Unless there was a lag between IRN and Civilonline, I am afraid I didnt make it in the 05/08 batch.

Perhaps they are not issuing the 'marriage' ones yet. I was wondering if anyone here got their BC under 3.1 this month.

• I have noticed a few references to green or brown(red) ball. Does it signify anything if the ball is one colour or another?

• @CDRLagos

If the 'ball' is brown in a particular stage, the evaluation/analysis of that step in ongoing. If the 'ball' is Green, then that step is complete, and the process has moved to the next step.

At least, that's the theory. Problem is: these 'Balls' are not updated regularly, so the status indicated by these colouring are unreliable. My process moved from Ball 4 Brown to Ball 7 Brown in one day. Obviously, those 3 steps were not completed in day - they simply decided to update the thing one fine morning.

• @DKU

Thank you

• I got the following response today following my request for the status of issuing BC.

Make what you will of it.. Summary of the message, as far as I can tell 'We have no clue what is going on or when you will get the BC'. Sounds to me like a meaningless verbiage from a disorganised bureaucracy

Exmo. Senhor

De acordo com determinação superior, o registo deverá ser realizado por intermédio de nova plataforma de tramitação de processos de nacionalidade que abrange o processamento automático dos registos, na sequência de decisão favorável dos processos de nacionalidade.

Para o efeito, aguarda-se o decorrer dos respetivos procedimentos informáticos definidos funcionalmente pelas equipas técnicas envolvidas, em momento não dependente desta Conservatória.

Assim logo que possível será informado do que houver por conveniente.

• @Mohamedjuned o da minha esposa é da 1ª quinzena de Agosto/21 (132xxx) e está na bola 4. Acredito que avance agora na primeira quinzena de Junho.

• @DKU De acordo com o site do IRN, isso será implementado até ao final do quarto trimestre deste ano.

Este é um projeto financiado pelo PRR, no âmbito do ciclo de vida do cidadão e conta com uma dotação inicial de 1,4 milhões de euros. Até ao momento, os serviços do Registo já investiram cerca de 1 milhão de euros, na recuperação de processos na área da nacionalidade, através de trabalho suplementar, digitalização massiva de processos e novos equipamentos, prevendo-se até ao 4º trimestre do próximo ano a total recuperação de pendências.

• @jpc Thanks for that info. I assume '4th Q of next year' refers to 4Q 2024. I guess we will never be sure.

@IsabelaBraga In Portuguese Bureaucratic speak, that, I think, means ' sometime in the next few years, the process will become faster. Perhaps. May be.' ( Just kidding. Perhaps jokes are the only way to help this stress and frustration)

• @DKU where you from?

• @Destefano I am from Portugal

• @DKU Portugal? hmm... I understand, but I don't understand hehe.

And can U understand what is written here, what is written in Portuguese? Dude, because I think that in addition to being more elegant, as it is a forum written entirely in Portuguese, questions could be asked in Portuguese. This could reach more people who could help U. Not to mention that the fact that U are on the forum, I think, must be because U are seeking or have already obtained Portuguese citizenship, so U can practice our language now.

Previously U posted the following: "Aplogies for making the post in English, my Portuguese is still not upto scratch". But I think it's better for U to ask or answer in not-so-good Portuguese than in excellent English. Think about it. Don't get me wrong, but when I'm asking something on a website that is in English, I will always ask the questions in English. Chill out. Writing in English is not prohibited, I just don't find it here on the forum. My bad, it's just a reflection. Take care.

• @Destefano , thanks for the observation.....I live in Portugal, but not Portuguese yet ( hence the whole involvement here)

Actually google webpage autotranslate is quite good really, at least to get the essence of the message (I somehow assumed most folks have it turned on. For me, its a life saver, with having to navigate websites in the multiple European languages).

I do hope to learn enough Portuguese to have a decent conversation, but its really a pretty difficult language to learn, especially for someone who doesnt know another Romance language. Apologies again for that.

• @DKU @Destefano Acho que você deveria tentar o ChatGPT.

• @DKU A feather. No problem!

I also apologize, but my next possible answers will be in the language of the forum.

Entre ou Registre-se para fazer um comentário.