Acquiring Portuguese citizenship for my grandchild (I'm Portuguese)

Hi,

Recently I've became a Portuguese citizen through naturalization (via the Sephardic Jews law of return).

If the Jewish law of return is cancelled in a year or two, would my grandchild be able to acquire a Portuguese nationality after that time through me (his parents don't have Portuguese nationality)? Does the fact that I wasn't born Portuguese but rather acquired it later in life matters?

Here it says: "Os indivíduos com, pelo menos, um ascendente de nacionalidade portuguesa originária do 2. grau na linha reta que não tenha perdido essa nacionalidade, se declararem que querem ser portugueses e possuírem laços de efetiva ligação à comunidade nacional"

Please consult! Thank you very much!

Comentários

• well, I would imagine your grandchild would only be able to acquire Portuguese nationality if they were born after you acquired yours ... as it starts from the date of being registered so I don't think would apply that way but as you are a Sephardic jew I would imagine you could pass it on that way... I am happy to be correct though.... Good luck

• Não entendi o significado do 2. Grau no caso acima

tenho um conhecido que seu avô português já faleceu e tb seu pai

Ainda continua viva sua tia de 94 anos.

Este amigo teria alguma possibilidade de utilizar o fato de seu falecido pai ser irmão desta tia que é portuguesa por atribuição.

As filhas desta senhora já estão providenciando sua documentação para se tornarem cidadãs portuguesas.

• @Vand , se o amigo é neto, pode solicitar a atribuição pelo art 1D; O fato de a tia ser portuguesa não terá influência alguma na nacionalidade dele.

• Obrigado pela informação.

Meu amigo vai ficar triste, embora eu já o tinha informado desta impossibilidade .Mas como às leis mudam muito, fiquei na dúvida.

• @Vand

A @Leticialele lhe explicou que SIM, ele pode obter a nacionalidade através do avô português, mesmo o avô e o pai sendo falecidos.

Basta ter (ou localizar) a certidão de nascimento do avô, e do pai, juntamente com a certidão de nascimento dele, e alguns outros documentos. Diga a ele que abra uma conta aqui e pergunte diretamente, e referencie essa conversa aqui. Não sei por que você escolheu esse tópico em inglês.

O tópico seria aqui: https://forum.cidadaniaportuguesa.com/discussion/9702/atribuicao-de-nacionalidade-para-netos-decreto-37-81-de-2020-novo-processos-e-acompanhamento#latest

e aqui: https://www.irn.mj.pt/IRN/sections/irn/a_registral/registos-centrais/docs-da-nacionalidade/atribuicao/atribuicao-nacionalidade/

• @natali135

Your grandson has the right to citizenship. How to achieve it, depends if he's under 18 or not. There are a few possibilities.

1) if he's under age, his parent (father or mother) must obtain citizenship first, based on your citizenship. Then the parents can apply through art-2. For your grandson it is free (no charge). For your son/daughter the costs is $250, and just your birth certificate (assento português) is sufficient proof (AFAIK).

2) If he's over 18, he does the application himself, just like you did. He will start proving his genealogy, based on your background check, through CIL, CIP, or CJB, whatever you used for yours. He only need to take your genealogy, and add the remaining birth certificate documents. As this is a regular Sephardic process, the cost is $250, plus the CIL, CIP, or CJB fees for the genealogy.

3) if he's over 18, his father/mother can apply as son/daughter first (€250), and once they become citizens he can apply as son (€250).

1. O estrangeiro menor ou incapaz, cuja mãe ou pai tenha adquirido a nacionalidade portuguesa, depois do seu nascimento, pode também adquirir a nacionalidade portuguesa se declarar, por intermédio dos seus representantes legais, que quer ser português desde que não se verifique qualquer das circunstâncias que são fundamento de oposição à aquisição da nacionalidade – artigos 2º e 9º da Lei da Nacionalidade e artigo 13º do Regulamento da Nacionalidade.
    2. Aos descendentes de judeus sefarditas portugueses, através da demonstração da tradição de pertença a uma comunidade sefardita de origem portuguesa, com base em requisitos objetivos comprovados de ligação a Portugal, designadamente apelidos, idioma familiar, descendência direta ou colateral, desde que sejam maiores ou emancipados à face da lei portuguesa e não tenham sido condenados, com trânsito em julgado da sentença, pela prática de crime punível com pena de prisão de máximo igual ou superior a três anos, segundo a lei portuguesa, mediante requerimento dirigido ao Ministro da Justiça - artigos 6º n.º 7 da Lei da Nacionalidade e 24º-A do Regulamento da Nacionalidade.

Please use Google.com/translate for your questions (idioma familiar is a requirement), and post them here: https://forum.cidadaniaportuguesa.com/discussion/6108/judeus-sefarditas-informacoes-e-processos#latest

• natali135natali135 Member
    editado October 2021

@gandalf Thank you for the detailed answer. I am specifically interested about a way for the grandchild to acquire citizenship not through the Sephardic law route but through the "Os indivíduos com, pelo menos, um ascendente de nacionalidade portuguesa originária do 2. grau na linha reta que não tenha perdido essa nacionalidade" route. It is my understanding based on another answer I received that as long as the grandchild was born *after* I became a naturalized Portuguese this should be possible. Do you agree?

"idioma familiar is a requirement" You mean here in this forum (I was under the impression that most Portuguese are familiar with English)? Should I post my next questions in Portuguese?

Thank you!

• editado October 2021

@natali135

You are looking for the regular citizenship as a grandson (2nd degree). For art-1D (Netos), only if your son/daughter was born after you got your Sephardic citizenship.

There are two type of citizenship:

• Atribuição (for sons, daughters, and grandsons), when the citizenship goes back to the DOB.
    • Aquisição for all the other types: Residents, Sephardic, Marriage, etc), when the citizenship starts at the date of "assento" (registration)

In the Atribuição the person becomes portuguese since he/she was born, the right through atribuição passes on to the descendants. When the child was born, you were already a citizen since your own birth.

In the Aquisição you can pass on another Aquisição (marriage art-3, son/daughter art-2, etc) even if happened before the citizenship. To grant "atribuição", the birth of the descendent 1st degree (the son/daughter) must have happened after the date of citizenship. When the child was born, you were already a citizen.

Therefore, if you become a citizen before you get married, this sons/daughters will be Atribuição (filhos art-1C), and so the sons of the sons. If you become a citizen after having your children, they will have "aquisição" (filhos art-2).

I hope it is clear now.

idioma familiar is a requirement for the citizenship. Therefore in the forum it is the expected, taken for granted. I'm replying just as a courtesy, hoping you switch to portuguese asap.

• Great explanation, I understand it better now. Thank you for your help!

Will try to polish my Portuguese next time on the forum.

Entre ou Registre-se para fazer um comentário.