Avoid sending duplicate documents for the citizenship request for my wife

(

I submit here the text I sent to IRN in both Portuguese and English, for your convenience. Replies in English are better for me, but Portuguese is also OK, I will Google translate it. I will be glad to here what you know about this

Apresento aqui o texto que enviei ao IRN em português e inglês, para sua comodidade. Respostas em inglês são melhores para mim, mas português também está bom, vou traduzir no Google. Ficarei feliz em saber aqui o que você sabe sobre isso

)

Olá,

O meu nome é XXX, sou cidadão português.

Atualmente estou em processo de registro do meu casamento no IRN, com a intenção de solicitar a cidadania portuguesa para minha esposa assim que o registro de casamento for aprovado e concluído, com base no fato de estarmos casados ​​​​há mais de 6 anos.

Dado que alguns dos documentos necessários para o registo de casamento também são necessários para o pedido de cidadania, gostaria de perguntar se posso evitar o envio desses documentos para você como parte do pedido de cidadania (futuramente, assim que o registo de casamento for aprovado) - porque assim que o processo de registro de casamento for aprovado – significa que você já possui esses mesmos documentos e os aprovou como válidos.

Isso me ajudará muito a organizar o pedido de cidadania e reduzirá meus custos.

Pelo que sei – os documentos correspondentes são:

1. Uma cópia da minha certidão de nascimento portuguesa

2. Certidão de nascimento estrangeira da minha esposa – traduzida para o português, verificada e assinada por notário e com apostila

3. Certidão de passaporte estrangeiro da minha esposa – traduzida para o português, verificada e assinada por notário e com apostila

4. Certidão estrangeira de minha esposa mudando seu sobrenome para o meu após nossa cerimônia de casamento – traduzida para o português, verificada e assinada por notário e com apostila

Portanto precisarei enviar como parte do pedido de cidadania apenas os seguintes documentos:

1. O formulário de pedido de cidadania, preenchido em português e assinado

2. Certidão de registo criminal da minha esposa (quanto tempo é necessário para que seja válida?) – traduzida para português, verificada e assinada por notário e com apostila

Estou correto no que escrevi acima?

Hello,

My name is XXX, I am a citizen of Portugal.

I am currently in a process of registering my marriage with IRN, with intention to ask for Portuguese citizenship for my wife once the marriage registration is approved and completed, based on us being married for more than 6 years.

Since some of the documents needed for the marriage registration are also needed for the citizenship request, I wish to ask if I can avoid sending these documents to you as part of the citizenship request (in the future, once the marriage registration is approved) - because once the marriage registration process will be approved – it means that you already have these same documents and you approved them as valid.

This will help me much in arranging the citizenship request and lower my costs for it.

From what I know – the matching documents are:

1. A copy of my own Portuguese birth certificate
  2. Foreign birth certificate of my wife – translated to Portuguese, verified, and signed by a notary and with apostille
  3. Foreign passport certificate of my wife – translated to Portuguese, verified, and signed by a notary and with apostille
  4. Foreign certificate of my wife changing her family name to mine following our marriage ceremony – translated to Portuguese, verified, and signed by a notary and with apostille

So I will need to send as part of the citizenship request only the following documents:

1. The citizenship request form, filled in Portuguese and signed
  2. Criminal record certificate of my wife (how far back in time you need for it to be valid?) – translated to Portuguese, verified, and signed by a notary and with apostille

Am I correct in what I wrote above?

Comentários

• @portugalman8

In theory, you are correct. In fact, there's a specific legal provision about this. I quote from Article 37 of the Regulation on Portuguese Nationality:

A apresentação de certidões de assentos que devam instruir declarações ou requerimentos para fins de atribuição, aquisição ou perda da nacionalidade é dispensada, se os correspondentes atos de registo se encontrarem arquivados na Conservatória dos Registos Centrais.

Nevertheless, I must warn you that the Portuguese civil registry services are not the most efficient, and trying to save a few bucks in this way could lead to longer processing times.

Please let us know what the IRN answers!

• @portugalman8 ,

I wonder what the answer would be. So please let us know. I did not know about the article 37 mentioned by @eduardo_augusto. As far I understood, the records must be at Conservatoria de Registos Centrais. So, I believe you must send your marriage registration requirement to CRCentrais. When I registered my grandfather marriage in the US Portugal embassy years ago, they did not send that record to Portugal. Nowadays the system must be integrated.

You can send a photocopy of your Portuguese birth certificate, it doesn't need to be a certified copy.

You did not mention where your wife was born, but just to let you know if she is from a english/french/spanish speaking country, the translation is not required.

• Thank you for your kind answers.

It seems logical for me that the Portuguese government will wish to save time and resources and avoid getting duplicate certificates - so it is a win for all sides.

I will update here once I get a decent reply.

Entre ou Registre-se para fazer um comentário.