Acquisition of nationality through marriage

Hi,

I have submitted my husband's documents for nationality registration through marriage. It was received at the civil registry in Lisbon in Sept 2021. On the nacionalidade website it shows it is at step 4 verification of documents. How long more till the process is finalized and birth registered?

Comentários

• @Cris9343

Portuguese citizenship through marriage takes about 2 years from beginning to end.

However, as there was a massive increase in the overall number of applications after the citizenship law was amended in 2021, it is possible that it could take a little longer.

Realistically, if there are no requests for clarification/additional documents, your husband's process should be complete before the end of the year.

• @eduardo_augusto

Thanks for your response.

Just out of curiosity, could you elaborate on what amendments were made to the citizenship law? Or if you could provide a reference link on where I could read about it

• @Cris9343

First let me make a small correction: I meant the change approved in late 2020. The most significant change was that the requirement of proof of link to Portugal and Portuguese culture was simplified. This was especially good for Brazilians since speaking Portuguese as first language would now be considered sufficient proof of a link to Portuguese culture.

With this change, thousands of Brazilians suddenly could apply for Portuguese citizenship - I am talking here about the citizenship process for grandchildren of Portuguese citizens.

As a result, in 2021 there was a massive increase in the number of applications. Then in 2022 the "Abramovich" case also prompted changes in the law, mostly regarding the "sephardic" application. Here the opposite happened: with the news that the rules would become stricter, again thousands of people sent in their applications, in many cases missing some of the required documents, "just to get in line" before the changes.

Coupled with this, we had the pandemic, which slowed everything down (but also gave people more time to look for their ancestors" documents, I guess...) and in 2022 the war with Ukraine forced the Portuguese government to use some of its resources to handle the influx of refugees / migrants.

So... increase in demand, but no increase in workforce to handle all applications, means things now... take time... a lot of time.

• @eduardo_augusto

Ok noted. Thanks alot for that simplified explanation and your support.

• @eduardo_augusto

Thanks for your response.

Just out of curiosity, could you elaborate on what

Entre ou Registre-se para fazer um comentário.